Divetech

Cayman Islands Dive Companies, Cayman Islands Dive Sites, Cayman Islands Shore Diving, Cayman Islands Wall Diving, Little Cayman Diving, Cayman Brac Diving

Shorediving Grand Cayman

Postby funtimeken » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:01 pm

I am so sorry to disagree with the people that feel DiveTech is giving shore diving a bad rep. I have been coming to Grand Cayman specifically for the shore diving with my 3 kids for the past eleven years. As you may be aware of, boat diving is expensive for a single diver, let alone 5 divers. I own a time share at Moritts on the far east end, and we have to drive to the west end to dive. We were here when DiveTech opened Lightpoint simply by chance. It is one of our favorite dives. The mini wall is about seventy five yards from shore. There is a buoy at 25 ft of depth to drop in, then a direction line to follow. Once at the mini wall, you can stay and explore or continue to the big wall. There is a guide line to pull yourself on for the remaining 100 or so yards. Once off he rope, you swim to a reef about 10 yards and go over it. The wall is just beyond, and the depth is 74 feet. It is very easy and nicely set up. This year, they put a statue out and have it marked also.

At Cobalt Coast, the walls are approximately the same distance, with exactly the same set-up. Prior to entering the water, all of the Divetech people are very capable of giving a very specific pre-dive briefing to anyone interested. All you need to do is ask. I do each year to see if there is anything new, or an area to be aware of. As a divecon instructor, I feel it is very important to always know about the area you are diving if possible. The people at Divetech are always willing to help.

The idea at running a business is to make money, so Divetech is not doing anything every other dive shop is doing. They are in business to male money, and selling air is a part of that process.

Good job Divetech.

Posted from IP - 208.157.148.60-dynamic.dsl.candw.ky
Location - Cayman Islands
funtimeken

Re: Shorediving Grand Cayman

Postby blaineD » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:39 pm

Posted from IP - 208.157.148.60-dynamic.dsl.candw.ky
Location - Cayman Islands

BUSTED!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

funtimeken wrote: I own a time share at Moritts on the far east end, and we have to drive to the west end to dive.

So "THEY" buy a timeshare at the far east end but ONLY SHORE DIVE. Ummmm. okay. Not to boat dive with Ocean Frontiers, but to spend 10 times that on gas and time driving for hours every day back and forth. Yeah, okay.

funtimeken wrote:The mini wall is about seventy five yards from shore. There is a buoy at 25 ft of depth to drop in, then a direction line to follow. Once at the mini wall, you can stay and explore or continue to the big wall. There is a guide line to pull yourself on for the remaining 100 or so yards. Once off he rope, you swim to a reef about 10 yards and go over it.

Let's do the math here...

75 yards to mini wall
+ 100 yards to big wall
+ "beyond" so what, another 20 yards or so..

That's almost 200 yards to the "big wall", what ever the "little wall" may be! And what are the sea conditions? Even if it were flat calm every day, which is impossible, it would be a HUGE swim to go 200 yards! This from a "safety conscious diver". Ummm, okay.

funtimeken wrote:The wall is just beyond, and the depth is 74 feet.

Then after the swim marathon it's only 74 feet deep? THEN how far to the REAL WALL, what ever that may be. Last I went there it was just one wall, usually 100-200 yards AROUND THE WHOLE ISLAND! We dove Babylon on the east side from shore, one of the best dives in the Caymans, and THAT was not even 200 yards.

funtimeken wrote: It is very easy and nicely set up. This year, they put a statue out and have it marked also.

"Easy" LMAO!

Statue to what? All the people who died trying to swim 200+ yards through rough sea so you can "MAKE MORE MONEY" from selling air?

funtimeken wrote: At Cobalt Coast, the walls are approximately the same distance, with exactly the same set-up. Prior to entering the water, all of the Divetech people are very capable of giving a very specific pre-dive briefing to anyone interested. All you need to do is ask. I do each year to see if there is anything new, or an area to be aware of. As a divecon instructor, I feel it is very important to always know about the area you are diving if possible.

This whole thing reads just like an advertisement from Dive Tech!

funtimeken wrote:The people at Divetech are always willing to help.

...help separate tourists from their dollars, at any cost.

funtimeken wrote:The idea at running a business is to make money, so Divetech is not doing anything every other dive shop is doing. They are in business to male money, and selling air is a part of that process.

The only truthful statement, but exactly what a dive shop would write themselves, not anything a tourist would write.

funtimeken wrote:Good job Divetech.

Signed, Dive Tech. DOH! Totally BUSTED! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's why I love these forums. Not another Trip Advisor or Scuba Board where the reviews are rigged and the bad reviews don't show up. Keep up the great work guys!
blaineD

Re: Divetech

Postby agretan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:49 pm

They're at it again, I see. :roll:

BUSTED again, I see. :o

LOVE this review site, I do! :D
agretan

Another Divetech Death

Postby agretan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Another Divetech Death

Tourist dies after diving in West Bay
Cayman News | 19/03/2015 | 3 Comments
(CNS): A 70-year-old man who was visiting the Cayman Islands died Thursday following a dive trip off North West Point. Police said that at around 2:45pm today (19 March) emergency crews were notified that the diver was in need of medical attention. The visitor was diving in the company of other divers and experienced difficulties while he was in the water, an RCIPS spokesperson said. He was helped to get to the shore for medical attention and then taken by ambulance to the Cayman Islands Hospital in George Town, where he was pronounced dead.

The visitor arrived in the Cayman Islands on Wednesday and was travelling with his son, police stated. The incident is under investigation by officers from the RCIPS Joint Marine Unit.
agretan

Re: Divetech

Postby agretan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:25 pm

And another Divetech Death!

Diver dies off West Bay

Tourist was in Cayman for Tech diving event

An American tourist died after getting into difficulties diving off West Bay.

John Michael Killanin, from Clearwater Florida, was in Grand Cayman for DiveTech’s annual Inner Space event, for technical divers.

He was an hour into his dive last Friday when he experienced difficulties with strong currents off Cobalt Coast, according to a police statement.

His dive buddy helped him to the surface and signaled for assistance. The pair were picked up by the dive boat and staff attempted CPR on Mr. Killanin, who was unconscious.

The 53-year-old was transported to the Cayman Islands Hospital in George Town where he was pronounced dead at 12:40 p.m.

Nancy Easterbrook of DiveTech offered her condolences to the victim’s family but declined to comment further. Police said in a statement that they are investigating.

Inner Space is an annual week-long event for experienced technical divers, using sophisticated equipment, known as closed circuit rebreathers, to dive longer and deeper than is possible on ordinary scuba gear.

A website promoting the event states, “CCR Divers from new recreational divers through deep trimix divers journey to Grand Cayman, diving at various depths based on their certification limits, from 60 to 400 feet on dives lasting for 3 hours
agretan

Previous

Return to Cayman Islands Diving