Divetech

Cayman Islands Dive Companies, Cayman Islands Dive Sites, Cayman Islands Shore Diving, Cayman Islands Wall Diving, Little Cayman Diving, Cayman Brac Diving

Divetech

Postby Jenny333 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:23 am

We just dove at turtle reef by the cracked conch and the dolphin parks runoff is destroying that whole area. The places a little further towards seven mile beach are much better for shore diving.
Jenny333

Postby rordnries » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:10 pm

There will be no diving on the west part of Grand Cayman in a few years if those dolpin parks keep pumping their $hit out onto the reefs! Close those asswipes down!
rordnries

Postby jawGarihaws » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:24 pm

Not so much "out of the path of destruction" as it is such a small target. There's a lot of hype about Turtle Reef at the Cracked Conch. Truth is, that's right next to the dolphin park poop, and the reef is pretty much destroyed. Lighthouse Point, about 100 yards closer to Seven Mile Beach, is exactly the same reef.
jawGarihaws

Postby 04YTchau » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:26 pm

The whole reef by the Cracked Conch was already completely destroyed by the dolphin parks, including Lighthouse Point.
04YTchau

Postby Jandre » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks for the heads up, we had the Cracked Conch shore dive on our list based on other information. Is Lighthouse Point well out of the path of destruction?
Jandre

Postby Idoxotsadhext » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:20 pm

Not sure if it's from the runoff from the dolphin parks or something else but we were diving in the Cracked Conch area last week and most of the reef there is completely destroyed. The dolphin park runoff is right next to it so that has to be more than a coincidence. We did a second dive at the Lighthouse Point a little further down and that was in great condition, so at least the destruction has not spread there yet.
Idoxotsadhext

Postby Foumboppofe » Sat May 07, 2011 1:51 pm

I just got back from a Cayman Islands diving trip, and we tried diving at the reef by the Cracked Conch. The current was strong and the reef was all but gone. Still a few fish and some corals but nothing like it was a few years ago, before they built the dolphin park next door and have the sewage running right on the reef. There is a place called Lighthouse Point that's a little farther away, out of the path of destruction and the reef there is in very good shape, some of the best reef I've seen anywhere in the Cayman Islands.
Foumboppofe

Postby MdTurner » Sat May 07, 2011 9:50 pm

Went to the Cracked Conch reef on our Cayman Islands dive holiday. That whole area is completely dead. I thought maybe this was overstated but not. The reef nearby at the Lighthouse Point is in better shape but the damage is visible there too and it won't be long before that part of the reef is completely destroyed too. That dolphin park runoff is obviously the problem. Since diving is one of the Cayman Islands main tourist attractions, and since the dolphin park runoff is destroying the reefs, WHY? WHY? WHY? Did the government there ever approve such a thing?
MdTurner

Postby KimBerqus » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:51 pm

I'm booking our Cayman trip now for our annual business conference and fortunately I read this website before I got too far. I see that the Cracked Conch is not only a pricy restaurant but detrimental to diving. I appreciate the heads up, as I made the change to other dive companies and restaurants.
KimBerqus

Postby SueBeamer » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:12 pm

We just got back from an incredible dive trip to the Caymans. The best shore dive we did was at the turtle reef at Lighthouse Point. Last year we were diving at the turtle reef at the Cracked Conch (not sure if it's one long reef or two with the same name) but the one at Lighthouse Point is just incredible. The Cracked Conch reef was showing signs of damage last year, linked in likelihood to the dolphin runoff next door. We did not dive it this time but heard it's all but completely destroyed now. I just can't believe the Cayman Islands, a country that depends on diving tourism so heavily would allow a park with dolphin to dump their waste right in to the reef like that. The Caymans must be a little more third world than I thought. That entire reef structure will be completely devastated in a matter of months if they keep the parks running. Did they do any research at all before building the dolphin parks??? Extremely disappointing. :evil:
SueBeamer

Next

Return to Cayman Islands Diving