Cayman Shore Diving

Cayman Islands Dive Companies, Cayman Islands Dive Sites, Cayman Islands Shore Diving, Cayman Islands Wall Diving, Little Cayman Diving, Cayman Brac Diving

Cayman Shore Diving

Postby LisaTiberion » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:17 am

As yet another tragedy demonstrates, Grand Cayman is not an ideal shore diving destination. Too many places try to get people to try and dive the north wall from shore, no doubt to make a few bucks on their air fills and dive shop accessories. They do not seem to care that almost no divers ever make it all the way to the north wall because it is just so far, with currents and frequently rough waters. Many do die trying, as the local girl sadly demonstrates.

I love diving in Grand Cayman, I just do it by boat. My favorite boad dive operator in Grand Cayman is Cayman Diving School. They take the smallest goups and the gal that runs the boat is one crazy fun dive maniac!

But SAFE!
LisaTiberion

Re: Cayman not a shore dive destination

Postby Divetech » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:59 am

I truly appreciate that everyone is entitled to thier opinion, but shore diving is in fact awesome in Cayman. We have thousands of shore divers a year - young and old, that go from shore.. we keep a watchful eye, we log divers in an out, it's great value for money and it is enjoyed by many. It's expensive to run actually, but we believe in options for divers.
Divetech

Shore diving not SAFE at Divetech

Postby CharlesL » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:28 pm

I agree that the Cayman Islands offer some of the best shore diving anywhere in the world. I also agree with the original poster that the dive outfits like Divetech that sell north walls shore diving are doing so knowing the great risks involved for most recreational divers to make that far of a swim, well over 100 yards, through some of Grand Cayman's roughest waters with strong currents. I am a member of a dive club and we have been diving in the Cayman Islands on several occasions. All of us are advanced divers. There are some great shore dives near Sunset House, Eden Rock, and other places closer to shore. It's the north wall that is not safe, and only promoted to generate sales for the dive shops offering it. We've asked several of the smaller mom and pop dive operators we've dove with about diving the north wall from shore and they all whole heartedly agreed that even for a professional divemaster that is too far of a swim through too rough of waters to be considered a safe dive.

How many more divers have to die before places like Divetech get shut down. In the US they could be charged with manslaughter for sending beginner divers out to swim hundreds of yards through rough seas with no guide, telling them it's an EASY shore dive out to the north wall.
CharlesL

Postby Divetech » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:23 pm

Ok - I'm going to bow out as your information is just plain not right. If you had a bad experience, then I apologize for that. We had over 12,000 shore dives last year - and no incidents, no deaths, a few rescues that we dealt with. Yes, we have current once in a while - but only once in a while - same as all dive sites here - boat or shore. You don't like Divetech - ok - but don't bash a good thing - our safety record stands for itself over 19 years now. Prevailing winds are SE all summer - NE all winter and we are on the NW point - so we close the shop when appropriate - which is about 15 days a year. Other than that, it's literally 2 mintues to the mini wall - which is where most people dive and a very easy dive that is well marked and well supervised.
Divetech

Postby CharlesL » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:58 pm

Divetech wrote:We had over 12,000 shore dives last year - and no incidents, no deaths, a few rescues that we dealt with.

Just to prove who's "just plain wrong" here's a link to the most recent article of last week where someone died trying to make your "safe easy" north wall shore dive.
http://www.compasscayman.com/story.aspx?id=47420

Or are you claiming that someone other than Divetech is responsible for Lighthouse Point dive operations?

And Divetech has had MANY OTHER diver fatalities. Do I need to post links to ALL the articles for diver fatalities at Divetech over the years?

Divetech wrote:it's literally 2 mintues to the mini wall

That's nothing but a strawman argument. Whatever a 'mini wall' is, it's of no relevance to this discussion, which pertains to the dangerous practice of sending beginner divers out on their own to the NORTH WALL, well over 100 yards from shore.

Divetech wrote:a very easy dive that is well marked and well supervised

The lady that died last week in the article above cleary demonstrates the wonderful supervision you provide. But now that you are saying your north wall shore dives are supervised please provide the specifics, including how many divemasters per number of divers. Or is this just more false advertising, to put it mildly. As I said, in the US you would be culpable for manslaughter, in addition to a number of civil suits. By claiming to provide supervision and then not offering it you have further widened the gap between Divetech and all of the other more legitimate, safe, and responsible dive companies in the Cayman Islands. Even Red Sail, a pure cattle boat operation, does not send beginners out on their own and tell them to dive the north wall from shore.

But prove me wrong, on any of the issues above, with references. Or have some of your peers, other Cayman Island dive operators, state their claim that the north wall is a safe dive from shore for divers of all levels. Just a few would be adequate, surely you must be on good terms with dozens of Cayman dive companies after 19 years in operation.
CharlesL

Postby Divetech » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:27 pm

Pamela Langevin was not diving with Divetech - nor at Lighthouse Point - just to set the record straight. She was diving at the Cracked Conch location as as such we had nothing to do with this incident BUT it is a great tragedy regardless and our hearts go out to Marc and his family.

Your title 'shore diving not safe at Divetech' is wrong and misleading. We go overboard on safety and as we had no incidents, you have no claim to say that we are not safe. Read the article. http://compasscayman.com/caycompass/201 ... e-attempt/

The mini wall is 2 minutes off shore or 70 yards if you wish it in yards and not 200 yards. It's a 30-60 foot profile that most divers choose. Do you really think that I'm interested in $10 for a tank at the risk of diver safety?

There has been a terrible tragedy, people are grieving and you are bashing Divetech for what?
Divetech

Postby Underwater Ellen » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:12 pm

I don't like the bashing on Divetech. In fact it is totally out of place.
I started diving last year at the East End, where you have some great boat dives. (as you have at the North, South AND West side) But as a resident with a job, you sometimes just need a shore dive, a safe one, supervised by a professional team and if there is one team dedicated towards residents, non-residents, children, people with special needs, who stand for safety, who take the time to give you all the information about what to see, where to dive, currents, weather, temperature it is Divetech!
Other shore dive operators on island like Eden Rock and Sunset house are also top and it's always safety first.
I had the honor of working one day with the late Mrs. Langevin and what happened is very sad and a tragedy, we all grief for her and think about her husband and child. But she wouldn't like the bashing going on neither, I guess. And indeed she was diving at Cracked Conch.

Accidents happen and are always very sad, but sometimes it happens and there's no need making it worse by looking for a scapegoat!
Underwater Ellen

Postby Frans De Backer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:03 pm

I don't agree that Cayman is not a shore dive destination. I've been doing many shore dives here and I just love it. It's easy accessible, the reefs are beautiful and dive operators like Divetech are doing a great job concerning safety and logistics.
I really regret what has happened and my heart goes out to those who are suffering.
But there's no need to throw stones to people who are taking good care of safety and awareness, and making Cayman a great shore dive destination.
Frans De Backer

Postby bpuk » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:45 pm

Thank you so much CharlesL you had me howling with laughter to start my week off the way you have jumped on such a sad situation and come out with all this nonsense.
bpuk

Divetech Dangerous North Wall Shore Dive

Postby BobTaylor » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:58 am

I tried Divetech's north wall shore dive and never made it all the way to the north wall. There is a mini wall, it's not like the main wall in Grand Cayman that drops down for miles but it's a good shore dive. I do agree that advertising safe, easy north WALL shore diving is a misleading and potentially dangerous practice.
BobTaylor

Next

Return to Cayman Islands Diving