Ocean Frontiers

Cayman Islands Dive Companies, Cayman Islands Dive Sites, Cayman Islands Shore Diving, Cayman Islands Wall Diving, Little Cayman Diving, Cayman Brac Diving

Ocean Frontiers Blows!

Postby BrettNtx » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:34 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry to start on such a negative note but I just got back from a dive trip in Grand Cayman with Ocean Frontiers and, well, they suck. They are the most over rated, over hyped, over priced, under whelming dive company I ever used... anywhere!

Their boats are crowded.

They charge TWICE the going rate.

The ocean is VERY ROUGH EVERY DAY where they dive.

They do NOT offer any compensation no matter how bad the weather is... You pay, you go and puke your guts out, or you pay and you don't go. Either way, you pay.

Their dive DUMP is all of 300 square feet, a little larger than the average bathroom.

Their pool is SALTY.

There are only three restaurants within miles of their facility (they have no restaurant of their own and recommend the Reef Resort).

The restaurant at the Reef Resort is absurdly over priced for food that I would not feed my dog... their food really is that rotten, and overcooking meat and fish EVEN WHEN ORDERED RARE just to try and kill the bacteria does not help. Get a clue!

Oh, and best of all... It's a FOUR HOUR DRIVE round trip to get to the good restaurants, and gas there is almost $10 a gallon, in US.

Do I need to say it.... I do NOT recommend Ocean Frontiers. ANY other dive company would have to be better than this second rate dump.

PS: If you are going to be taking people out diving in 6-8 ft. waves maybe get a decent boat?

Ocean Frontiers Blows!

Postby PatrickT » Tue May 29, 2012 9:20 am

...like the wind! Their service was really good, just the weather on that part of Grand Cayman is too rough. We got battered around for 3 days, then abandoned the last 2 days of our package to dive on the calmer side of the island. Neptunes is a great dive company for smaller groups. With just me and my wife there were only 2 other people on the boat. We went to the west and north sides with Neptunes, the north side was a little rough but not nearly like the east end. The west side was very calm and the diving there was a good or better than east end.

Next trip we'll stay the whole week on the west side and dive with Neptunes.

Ocean Frontiers NOT worth Time/Money

Postby MarkKimPA » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:38 am

I just got back from a great week of diving in Grand Cayman. The reviews and information at this site are by far the most accurate, many others seem self promoting or biased, opposed to here though somewhat brutal at times.

We did most of our dives with Neptune's, but tried a day with Ocean Frontiers. They were very service oriented but I would not say any better than Neptunes, or other dive operators in the Cayman Islands. Their prices were much higher and the water much rougher, for that you get dives about comparable to the north wall and some of the better west side dive sites. Unless you're staying in that remote part of the island it's an hour or two to Ocean Frontiers each way, and gas there is at least twice the price in the states.

RE Ocean Frontiers NOT worth Time/Money

Postby TimTaylor » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:05 am

I had some good dives with Ocean Frontiers, but I have to agree, it's not worth the much higher rates with the long drive and rough seas. The diving on the north and west sides was just as good as the Ocean Frontiers area in the east end, but much easier boat rides and 20-30% less expensive, not counting all the gas it takes to get to Ocean Frontiers, with gas prices around $10 (converted to US) prices.

We have had excellent diving with Neptune's and Living the Dream, both on the west and north walls of Grand Cayman.

Ocean Frontiers

Postby H20SCUBA12 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:59 am

We had been planning on diving with Ocean Frontiers but I think I'm going to change to one of the dive operations on the calmer side of the island.

The information and reviews at this site look to be about as raw and believable as anything I've seen.

Which dive operation is the best on the calmer side of the island, in the 7 mile beach area? It looks like Living Dream is best around here, just looking for another one for comparison.

Great website, lots of help with picking which island and where to dive. I was honestly considering St. Thomas but the raw and no holes barred material at this website was a factor in choosing Grand Cayman. So Kudos for that. :-)

Re: Ocean Frontiers

Postby TimTaylor » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:48 pm

H20SCUBA12 wrote:Which dive operation is the best on the calmer side of the island, in the 7 mile beach area? It looks like Living Dream is best around here, just looking for another one for comparison.

Neptune's Divers are great. The only thing is their boat is really tiny, with a small little swim step to get in and out of the water.
Living the Dream has a HUGE boat with every dive amenity, and still only take 8 divers. Their customer service is in a league of its own.

Ocean Frontiers

Postby divedude » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:00 am

We dove with Ocean Frontiers a couple months back for the 2nd time and loved it! The water was not very rough when we were there, 2-3 feet maybe, but their boats are more than big enough to handle any rough seas. I think some of the posts here are way off base. Either from inexperienced divers, or prone to sea sickness, better for them to dive on the west (leeward) side of Grand Cayman. We LIKE the most challenging sites, don't mind a little chop, and don't really want to be held back by beginners wanting shallower or easier dive sites. That's one of the reasons they are my favorite dive company in Grand Cayman, they tend to attract the more sophisticated divers. My wife, sons and myself are all advanced open water divers and we'd much rather be on a boat with divers of similar experience. Nothing against beginners, we were all there once. But they usually need more attention, take longer getting ready like sitting on the swim step for 10 minutes while everyone else is ready to go, and usually want easier or shallower dive sites. We WANT the best dives, wherever they are, without compromising for beginners. I hope no one takes this the wrong way, I have nothing against beginner divers,and I love Ocean Frontiers, I just think that most of the negative feedback here is from people that got in a little over their head (yes to pun), then blame the dive company. We've been diving all over the world, and NO dive company I've ever heard of gives refunds or credits to people just because they get seasick, or can't handle the dives. The best advice is to do some research before picking a dive company, and pick the one that matches your level of skill and interests.

Okay, off the soap box now, I just wanted to express that in my opinion Ocean Frontiers is one of the best dive companies anywhere. Their staff, boats, and especially the dive site they go to are all top notch. Ocean Frontiers is a first class dive operation, and the dives I've done with them were some of the best dives I've done anywhere, and that includes Little Cayman.

Return to Cayman Islands Diving