Ocean Frontiers

Cayman Islands Dive Companies, Cayman Islands Dive Sites, Cayman Islands Shore Diving, Cayman Islands Wall Diving, Little Cayman Diving, Cayman Brac Diving

Postby Friecebex » Sun May 29, 2011 9:23 pm

We had pretty much the same experience diving with Ocean Frontiers. Rough water, a dozen or more seasick people crammed on a small boat. The diving was good, but not worth the cost.
Friecebex

East end of Cayman is the ROUGH SIDE

Postby paradelons » Mon May 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Not sure what the big surprise is, there is a lot of information all over the web so it should be a well known fact that the east end of Grand Cayman is the windward side of the island. Not everyone gets seasick, not everyone is afraid of a few big waves. There are dozens of dive companies in the Caymans that go to the other calmer areas like the north wall and Seven Mile Beach. I don't think Ocean Frontiers makes any claims to calm seas, just good diving and good customer service. Seems like a lot of people are getting upset about weather and waves and conditions that Ocean Frontiers has no control over. If you want calm waters and easy diving stay somewhere in Seven Mile Beach!
paradelons

Postby Palomo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:57 pm

Similar thing happened to us. Rough weather, seasick, outrageous prices, crampy boats. Never again. The diving we did on Cayman's west side was better anyway.
Palomo

Postby stefanian » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:58 pm

We dove with Ocean Frontiers in Grand Cayman last month and the seas were not too choppy, and no one on our boat got seasick. Their service was top notch, so the prices will be a little higher. It's a lot farther to the east end of the island so they have to carry all the fuel, tanks, supplies, and everything else twice as far as the other dive companies, so the prices are fair. The diving on the east end of Grand Cayman is a little better than the west side, not quite as good as north. It's a matter of personal opinion really, is it worth the long drives, higher prices, rougher seas, to dive a different part of the caymans with a company that provides excellent service. Yes!
stefanian

Postby Dane Sipel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:21 am

I had a good dive in the Caymans with Ocean Frontiers but they did pack quite a few people on for the size of the boat we were on. The thing I liked about them was they let us do whatever we wanted. The other one we were diving with was Divetech, they made us listen to dive briefings, dive site briefings, even a boat briefing! I felt briefed to death! Ocean Frontiers took us straight out to the dive site and told us to jump in. The waves were big most days so any briefings would not have been heard by anyone anyway. :lol: They did tell us they would check our computers after the dives to make sure we didn't go to deep or stay too long but I told the divemaster I was an advanced diver and he said don't worry about it. My kinda guy! My buddy and me went to almost 200 feet that day and they never said a word do they are cool about that. I don't like paying big bucks for a dive vacation in the Caymans or anywhere far and then being told how to dive. I've done a few dozen dives to 200 feet, all with regular air and never got bent, so I know what I am talking about. Those places that brief you to death don't really care about you anyway, they are just covering their a$$ for insurance purposes in case something goes wrong.

I think the newbies and lightweights should go with someone other than Ocean Frontiers, there are tons of dive outfits in Grand Cayman. Leave the east end for us big boys who don't get seasick and don't want to be told how deep to go, and maybe the boat won't be so crowded next time. :!:
Dane Sipel

Postby paradelons » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:10 am

Dane Sipel wrote:I think the newbies and lightweights should go with someone other than Ocean Frontiers, there are tons of dive outfits in Grand Cayman. Leave the east end for us big boys who don't get seasick and don't want to be told how deep to go, and maybe the boat won't be so crowded next time. :!:

I agree, more room on the boat for people who don't mind a few waves, not worried about paying a little more for challenging dives. I'll bet these people never did any cold water diving, oil rig diving, east coast diving, cave diving... I've been fishing in Alaska and diving down south of Cabo in 12' waves, THAT is rough water, not 6' waves in tropical conditions.
paradelons

Postby AlSueTx » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:20 am

I stayed at the Marriott during our vacation in the Caymans last month and diving with Red Sail, but did go to the east side one day for a dive with Ocean Frontiers. The seas were not too bad, not as calm as the area around the Marriott but it wasn't life threatening or anything. :lol: The boat at Ocean Frontiers was pretty cramped. They need a bigger boat. The prices were only a little higher than Red Sail. With the 20% gratuity they add in automatically it came to about $120 for a two tank dive with Red Sail and a little higher than that at Ocean Frontiers. The diving was excellent at both sides, east and west. Visibility was over 100 feet the whole week I was there. Saw dozens of turtles, eagle rays, even a shark! The only real down side to diving the east end and staying at the Marriott at Seven Mile Beach is the drive. It takes almost two hours depending on traffic, and gas there is almost $10/gallon (converted to our currency). With gas factored in the diving at Ocean Frontiers gets very expensive, unless you are staying in that part of the island. We checked out the resorts in that area and were not too impressed. There are only a couple of timeshare kind of places. We had lunch at one of them and that turned out to be a big mistake. I forgot the name of the restaurant but it's at the Reef Resort. The resort itself looked kind of run down and more like a motel than a resort, but the main thing was the food there was really bad. We paid almost $100 for a lunch and a few beers, with poor service and horrible food. I guess they don't have to give good service when the tips are automatically added on, a whopping 20%! I would not have tipped at all at the Reef because the food and service was so bad, and I am always a good tipper. I would never go back to the Reef resort on the east side again!
AlSueTx

Postby clairtereno » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:58 am

You get what you pay for. We went diving with Ocean Frontiers the trip before last and had a wonderful time. The water was not too rough and the diving was excellent. I don't mind paying more for the best. I would go to that part of the island again if they had a better resort there. We stayed at the Reef and found it to be noisy, overpriced and not very service oriented. The food was the worst part. If they had a Marriott or Ritz or something comparable in the east end I would stay at that part of the island every time and dive with Ocean Frontiers.
clairtereno

Postby SueBeamer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:56 pm

clairtereno wrote:You get what you pay for..

We did one dive with Ocean Frontiers when we were there and we did not feel we got what we paid for. They charged almost twice what we paid at other dive companies in Grand Cayman, and their boats were more crowded. I would not mind the rough conditions either if it was worth it but that's a really long way to go for diving that is not any better than the other parts of Grand Cayman. They just charge more is all.
SueBeamer

Postby brandonsal » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:11 am

Ocean Frontiers is one of the better dive companies in the Cayman Islands, based on my opinion of diving with numerous dive operations in Grand Cayman. The weather is rougher in the east end, they have no control over that, but they do provide exceptional service. I would tend to agree that they could use some larger boats, but they are certainly not cattle boats. I think the majority of people here complaining about their prices do not realize the expense of operating in the most remote area of the island. Things are more expensive in the Caymans anyway, more so the farther away from supplies. The diving on the east side is comparable or better than the north side, and the north side hasn't always been calm either when I've been there. The west side of Grand Cayman is the calmest area in general, but that also means more people dive there and the reefs sustain more damage. When I go to Grand Cayman for diving I usually stay on the west side and leave one day free to dive with Ocean Frontiers, if the weather is permitting. An extra couple hundred dollars for a terrific day of diving is worth it to me, after all the expense to get to the Caymans anyway, might as well see as much as possible while I'm there. But that's just my opinion, YMMV. :)
brandonsal

PreviousNext

Return to Cayman Islands Diving