Diving in Cayman

Cayman Islands Dive Companies, Cayman Islands Dive Sites, Cayman Islands Shore Diving, Cayman Islands Wall Diving, Little Cayman Diving, Cayman Brac Diving

Diving in Cayman

Postby Cayman Diver » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:51 am

Sitting at home this evening in Grand Cayman surfing the internet, I stumbled across this forum. I'm not usually a participant in forums, but reading through a lot of the comments (most contributors have only made one comment?) I could not stop laughing :lol:
Its almost as if the contributors have never dived with these companies or even dived before! All companies use PADI Instructors as staff on their boats, not Divemasters (the entry level into PADI Professional diving). Some operations will have Divemasters working as "instructors in training", alongside permanent staff, not instead of as this is the way PADI want people to learn "To Dive the PADI way".
The weather and diving conditions out East and more challenging than that on the West, but due to the lower number of divers the reefs are in better condition and because the sea is constantly moving (keeping it cooler) less bleaching has occurred. There is a much better chance of seeing larger animals, Reef / Hammerhead sharks and Mantas than on the West.
The "cattle boat operators" do take up to 20 people on their boats (that's the max), but they are big enough to handle that number comfortably and due to the size of the boats, they handle any weather better. Some of the smaller "6 - 8" diver operators squeeze that many on to small boats that bob and rock around in the slightest swell.
We do have a Lionfish problem, but you would be lucky (unlucky?) to see one on a popular dive site, they are culled on a regular basis by government registered LF Cullers.
On the West, the dive sites are generally a max of a 20 minutes journey for any operator to get to, anybody can use any dive site mooring (except the Kittiwake, you must be licensed).
Cost per operator is pretty similar, some of course do charge more and some offer more for less, it is a case of horses for courses.
Fatalities do happen while diving, divers don't want to miss a dive opportunity and so dive when under the weather, due to the large number of visitor who dive, some accidents do happen. Not only is it tragic for the families, it is also distressing for any crew, who try to save the situation, sometimes they are successful, other times not.

I hope this helps, but a lot of the comments are untrue or false allegations (made up!). I am a PADI Instructor, but i do not work in the dive industry at the moment and i have no employment history with any dive operator here.
Cayman Diver

Return to Cayman Islands Diving